Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Believe

Dear Grace,
           I forgot to mention last time what a pain in the butt it is to type with a crippled finger! Holy crap, I never realized just how much I depend on my little pinkie to reach all those letters for me, haha. Fortunately I can bend the stupid thing pretty well now, so I can take the splint off for a while and type easier. So anyway, I know I just wrote yesterday, but I had some things on my mind today that I wanted to get down before I forgot them.
          So today during lunch, Andrea came and visited me! Gosh I love that girl. She just brings me to life when I'm around her. I noticed several people giving me weird looks because we were running around being crazy hooligans, and I've never been crazy or fun around anyone at school, so I guess they were just very surprised to see that side of me which I've never revealed before :). In any case it serves them right for judging a person for what they see on the surface, HAHA! How will I do without Andrea next year?
          After school, I came home and decided to go on a walk with Max. At first I only planned to go up along the trail above the house, but when I passed the trail that led up the hill, I couldn't resist climbing up the mountainside. Do you remember when we used to hike up that trail together? Every time I hike up there now, I think of you, and I regret not taking you up there the last time you asked me to. I feel terrible about it now, and I wish I could share with you the beauty and majesty of the view from the top of that hill again.
          Well anyway, I had a few thoughts come to me as I hiked up that hillside. I was thinking to myself, "Good crap this is a pain in the butt to hike up! I feel bad for those prophets in the olden days who had to hike to mountaintops to talk to God." (Because if you remember, mountaintops were the first temples). This thought came to me though; back then, it was very difficult to get to the temple because you had to hike to the tops of mountains to get there. Nowadays we don't have to go to mountaintops, but it's equally as hard to get to the temple in today's world, because we face extremes in challenges of morality. It's dastardly hard to get there, but it's always worth it in the end.
           When I reached the peak of the hill, I sat down on the grass and started listening to a song on my iPod called "Creation Calls--Are You Listening?". A breeze was blowing, and I closed my eyes and listened to the words, as though they were speaking to my soul.
I have felt the wind blow
Whispering your name
I have seen your tears fall
When I watch the rain
How Could I say there is no God?
When all around creation calls!
            And when I opened my eyes to look at the lake and the valley and the mountains all around me, the words sang, I Believe, I Believe, I Believe...
            I can't exactly explain what I felt as I sat there with those words ringing through me as I took in the glory and the magnificence of the world around me. I truly feel, how could anyone say there is no God? Everywhere I look there is something that He puts into my path for me to see. Just for me. The little birds chirping and singing on the feeder outside my window in the mornings. The beautiful sunrises sweeping across the sky I see every day on my way to school. The smile of a stranger, or a hello from a friend. A kind word from a loved one. It can't all just be a coincidence. It's far too complex and perfect for that. Anyone who believes otherwise is a fool.
            The last thing that occurred to me was something I've given a lot of thought about. I've always heard these stories about people who ask us to prove that God exists, and say that if they can't touch it, see it, or hear it, that it can't be real. I finally found something I can compare feeling God's presence to. How can you prove that love is real? You can't touch it, see it, hear it, taste it, or smell it. It is a feeling, only felt. And blaming love on hormones is just ludicrous. If love had everything to do with hormones, then people would be able to fall in love a lot more easily because they could be compatible with anyone. And then how could hormones explain the different kinds of love one feels, such as romantic love, brotherly or sisterly love, or the love found between close friends? No, love is a rare and beautiful thing, and it comes along very rarely in life. So how can you prove that you're in love with someone? You can't. You can only tell someone what you feel, and what you know in your heart to be true. It's exactly the same with feeling God's presence. It's something you feel inside that you can't prove to anyone.
              Well, I've said enough for now. I love you, Gracie Lou, and I miss you tons. Stay strong and always remember who you are (one of God's princesses ;) ).
                                                                         Love Always,
                                                                                         Katie Jo

P.S. Here's some dorky pictures of Andrea and me being spaz's together :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...