Friday, June 3, 2011

May 31, 2011

Dear Grace,
            Today I went to my last day of high school. Wow, I can’t believe I’ve finally written those words down. But it’s true, today was my last day of high school. What a weird thing to realize that I’m truly no longer a kid. It never occurred to me the great change I’m facing by graduating from high school. I feel almost like I’m stepping off into empty space, and I don’t know where my foot will land. Funny enough, Alyssa’s birthday is on graduation day, so I arranged with her mom to sneak into their house early to make pancakes for her before she wakes up. I also made her a sweet imitation of the Snape Potter Puppet doll that she wishes she had a copy of ;) well, won’t she be surprised and delighted! I made one for Andrea too as a graduation gift, and I have to admit, they turned out pretty darn cute, haha.
Tonight Mom and I went to my last mutual activity. Now that I’m graduated I won’t be going to mutual anymore. But we seniors went out in a blaze of glory by burning all of our homework and roasting weenies and marshmallows over the fire, haha. Being up the canyon made me feel a little sad today, because it isn’t the peaceful, safe place I remembered it to be when I was a little girl. I used to love riding my bike up the canyon and driving up there just so I could walk around in the trees and get away from the city for a while. But it’s different now. I’m afraid to go up there by myself anymore because of all the weirdos who hang around up there. I pray that one day, when this earth has reached its paradisiacal glory that I will be able to walk through those same woods again and along those same paths without fear. What has this world come to when a girl can’t even go for a walk anymore without putting herself at risk? I’m just grateful for the canyons that are close to our house that I can still hike to without being afraid that someone might try to kidnap me along the way.
Tomorrow is yearbook day, and I’m planning to head down there at around nine o’clock. It’s eleven thirty at night right now as I write this, and I know that I should get to bed so I can get up tomorrow, but I’m putting it off because I’m almost afraid to go to sleep. The reason that frightens me is because when I wake up again it means I’ll have to face tomorrow. And facing tomorrow means having to say goodbye.
            There is only one friend I will truly and deeply miss from my senior year in high school, and that is Mrs. Gardner. The other night I was writing her a little letter, just thanking her for all that she’s done for me and things like that, and when Mom asked me what I was doing I said, “Well I’m just writing a letter to Mrs. Gardner, and I need to get it done before tomorrow because I think that may be the last time I’ll see her—” and almost instantly the words that I had just spoken hit me hard. It really struck me that that day would be the last time I would ever get to be in her classroom. Overwhelmed, I promptly burst into tears over this, and cried for quite a while (If you recall, I never cry, so this was kind of big for me).
            The reason I don’t want to go to sleep is because just for a few more hours, even a few precious minutes, I don’t have to say goodbye. I know that this goodbye is not forever, and I’ll make for dang sure that I visit her every time I’m in town on holidays and stuff, but it just won’t be the same as what this year has been. She and her classes have become a part of me, the part of my day that made it worth getting up in the morning and going to school for. She was a friend to me where no one else was, and she treated me like I was intelligent and capable. She made me feel like I mattered.
            Gosh I’m crying just writing all this down! I don’t know how I’m going to keep my composure tomorrow when I go to see her one last time. Dad says you usually only get a teacher like that once, maybe twice in a lifetime, and I’m inclined to agree. I’ve never met anyone like her in all my life. She is one of those people whom you absolutely love, who inspires you and makes you want to be a better person and to do your best. She is my hero, and it is my goal in life to become more like her.
            Graduation is this Thursday, and I have had the words to several songs stuck in my head all week. I don’t have much to tell for this letter, so I’ll just leave you with a few verses that have spoken to me.

Let it go
Let it roll right off your shoulder
Don’t you know?
The hardest part is over
Let it in
Let your clarity define you in the end
We will only just remember how it feels
Our lives are made in these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Time falls away, but these small hours still remain

From this hour, freedom!
The east and the west are mine
 The north and the south are mine
I am larger than thought
I did not know I had so much goodness
All seems beautiful to me
Afloat and lighthearted I take to the open road

This is the moment, dash all the odds!
This day or never, I sit forever with the gods
When I look back, I will recall
Moment for moment, this was the moment
The greatest moment of them all

All my love,
                       
Katie Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...