Monday, February 22, 2016

Franklin, The Turtle

Dear Grace,

Well, I'm sad to say it, but it finally happened. I got into my first car wreck. Yes, sadly, my dearly beloved Franklin has gone to dwell with our god in the great parking lot in the sky :'(


It's funny how getting into an accident has a strange way of making me feel so blessed. There were kind strangers who helped push my car into a parking lot, my parents who both came out to help me, the fact that this happened on a long weekend which gave me enough time to find a replacement, and my completely amazing roommate Meghan who willingly dropped everything and came to be with me, drive me home, wrap me in a blanket and make me a cup of tea, and then listen to me blubber about how sad I was to part with the car I've created so many memories with over the years. 

(Meghan AKA best wifey EVER. Fellas, start lining up for this lottery of a woman.)

It's funny how losing things has a way of opening your eyes to so many blessings. For me, I have the best parents in the world, the best of friends, my dream job, my life, my health, and the support and guidance of a loving heavenly father who strangely enough helped me to be prepared for this accident long before it ever happened.

I say this because first off, for no reason in particular I had been car shopping for a month already before the accident, and I had felt compelled to do a fair amount of research on what type of car I wanted and to determine whether I could afford a new car right now, which I was amazed to discover I could.

Second, my school schedule got about as messed up as it could get, which oddly enough allowed me to work more hours each week, thus providing a way for me to pay for things involving a car. On top of that, the refunds I got from student loans gave me near to the dollar the amount I needed for a down payment on the car.

Then more blessings came the day after the accident. 

My roommate Meghan happens to work near my own workplace, and was able to give me a ride to and from work the next day. When I got to work, my coworker Wendy saw me walk in and immediately jumped up and ran over to give me a great big hug and tell me how glad she was I was all right. Then she contacted her husband and the two of them tag-teamed for the rest of the day to help me find a new car.


(Wendy and her husband, Chet)

Then my coworker Cindy...



...(the company massage therapist and a dear friend of mine) learned of my accident and made time in her busy schedule to give me a massage (on account of my getting some pretty wicked whiplash).

Then Dad spent the better part of his weekend searching online and then driving me around the county, insistent that I test drive a number of cars so I would be sure that the car I chose was the one I really wanted. Ultimately, Dad found the exact car I wanted at good price, and then helped me with all of the big and scary paperwork and insurance. My dad is the best man I know. I don't know what I did to deserve him, but I really don't know what I'd do without him!

(Best. Daddy. EVER!!!)

Last of all, I have ten years of memories tied to that wonderful old death machine that I get to keep forever. Road trips, deep conversations, people I was able to serve, places I was able to go, and the countless times it was a refuge for me when I had nowhere else to go. 

Needless to say, my old friend Franklin will be sorely missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...