Thursday, April 17, 2014

"INCONCEIVABLE!"

Dear Grace,

As I have less than an hour of internet tonight and I have two more posts to write (in our hotel room that forces us to pay for it) I'm going to have to give you a very short rundown of what has been going on this past week!

First off, we went to the Cliffs of Moher:


Otherwise known as the Cliffs of Insanity! (I basically ran around on the cliffs quoting things from The Princess Bride the whole time).


Next, we visited an Irish Famine museum, where I think I enjoyed the gardens the best because they were so extensive.





Next, we rode through the countryside of Sligo and stopped off to walk up to a waterfall in the beautiful Irish countryside.


Then we stopped and went on a hike on a hillside a bit further down the road.


Then we stopped for the night in the very musical city of Dublin! I started my night off by heading over to the nearest Penny's (clothing store over here) to replace a pair of tennis shoes of mine that were beyond shot, as well as a pair of jeans I ruined by falling in the mud at a Roman arena earlier that week. Then, that night I went to a pub for dinner where there was live music, and I got the singer to sing Galway Girl to me; so now I can check "get an Irish singer to sing Galway Girl to me" off my bucket list. I enjoyed listening to that, and then the guy asked if anyone in the pub could sing.

I have no idea what came over me that night, but I was in such a good mood that I cheerfully called out that I did, and he invited me to go sit and sing with him, which I did. We spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out a song we both knew (did I mention he was about 65? haha) an finally ended up singing You Are My Sunshine.

Last thing for this post, I fell in love with Dublin, because everywhere you go in Temple Bar (a section of town filled with pubs) there's live music playing all day, and you can waltz into any pub and just have a listen to whatever's playing. At the pub I sang in that night, the singer gave me this:


It was just his receipt he'd torn up to look like this, but he said it would bring me luck, so I'm keeping it as my lucky charm from Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...