Saturday, March 1, 2014

Markets, Muffins, MPs, and Military Men

Dear Grace,

Yet again, I've had another beautiful couple of days here in paradise! First off, I had a little fun playing with my souvenir from the Jane Austen museum (quill pen and ink) and I attempted to brush up on my cursive a little (Lyssa, this letter is for you, and I may or may not send it to you before I get home haha).


Yesterday I had the brilliant notion to wear only two layers (one of them being a pair of capris) before heading out with basically my entire flat to go see the famous Borough Market. Big mistake. Windy, rainy, and cold was yesterday! I guess I keep getting hopeful that the temperature will be going up because I've been seeing blossoms on the trees and wildflowers coming up everywhere. I guess I should just stick to layers until it's too hot to wear them anymore.


Borough market was super cool! It's basically a giant food market with tons of stalls selling all different kinds of foods cooked and served in many different ways. I've been wanting desperately to see a market like that, and braving the cold was well worth it! I ended up buying a loaf of bread purely because it had the letter "K" (my first initial) printed on it in flour (you'll see a lot of what I describe in this post in the video at the end, so just bear with me).


 

After Borough Market, a bunch of us wanted to go and see Camden Market, (which I neglected to document because I was so bitterly cold that my face went numb and I probably looked and sounded like someone who had suffered a stroke for a half hour). Camden Market is AWESOME. I can't wait to go back and spend more time there on a day when it isn't raining and cold! It's like wandering through some kind of exotic bazaar with thousands of shops and trinkets and all manner of odds and ends you can imagine.

Then that evening a group of us decided to go out to dinner at the Muffin Man Cafe. It was so much fun to just sit and enjoy a meal and a lot of good laughs with my friends. I'm going to miss doing things spontaneously like this when I leave here.

Today was quite a crazy day. We got up and met in front of Parliament at 9:00am and then went inside to have a tour of the houses of parliament!





After our tour, we went on a walk around the city. My group and I ended up deciding to have lunch in the Cafe in the Crypt, which is a place I have been wanting to go see for a very long time now!



After lunch, we headed over to have a tour of Winston Churchill's War Rooms. We met up with Tyler out front, but we all ended up missing the first group that went in for the tour. So with the extra time we had until the next tour, Tyler and I ran down the street to grab a cup of tea to go before going into the War Rooms. I can't imagine what living in a hole in the ground like that for years and years must have been like; listening to the explosion of bombs crashing down outside every day, wondering if the next one would hit you.

After the tour Lindsey and a guy named Spencer and I all went for a little walk through Regent's Park right across the street from the War Rooms. Spring is almost here, and it's absolutely tantalizing to me. Everywhere I see the flowers blooming and for a day or two the weather gets so warm and sunny that I think that winter is finally gone, only to have those hopes dashed when another wet, miserably cold day sweeps in again like yesterday. I hope that I'll get to enjoy an English spring before I have to leave this place; everything is so beautiful here, even in the dead of winter. I'd love to be able to stretch out in the sunshine and lie in the grass in the park just once and read a book.




After our walk, Lindsey and I took a bus home. We actually took a little trip out to Portobello Road for kicks and giggles, and then we came home and decided to throw a little My Fair Lady tea party in our flat. That's all I've got to report for today, so I'll leave you with the little video I put together of my latest adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...