So here's something fun I can check off the bucket list: I celebrated Chinese New Year in Trafalgar square on Sunday!
There was a huge stage set up in the middle of the square where different groups of Chinese kids performed dances and songs for the festivities. I have to admit that I was expecting a lot more than what I saw there - something like Orem City Fest or the 4th of July stuff down in Provo, but aside from the stage and a few food stalls around the outside of the square, that was about it.
We (my friend Rosie and I) decided to wander up into Chinatown to see what was going on up there and were delighted to see all of the lanterns hung everywhere! I was just glad that Rosie had wanted to go right after church, because as it turns out all of the festivities finished at 6:00 that night! Most of the other people in our group had been planning on going at around 6:30 or 7:00, so they pretty much missed everything!
I finally got my first meal in Chinatown here in London that night! We stopped at one of the stalls that was set up in front of one of the restaurants and then walked around seeing the sights while we ate. We came upon a Chinese dragon on the street that was traveling up and down where each shop had hung an offering of lettuce or cabbage outside their front door. The dragon would eat the lettuce and then toss it in the air onto the crowd. Rosie and I decided that this was a sort of ceremony to bless all of the businesses with good luck and prosperity for the new year.
Just before heading back to the square for the fireworks, we stopped at Mickey D's for Cadbury McFlurries (Cadbury is like the Hershey's chocolate of England, and now I have turned into a chocolate snob because of it).
The fireworks were very small haha, but then, I guess when most of your city gets burned to the ground in a great fire, nobody ever really gets over it! The other thing that was awesome about the finale show was that in honor of the year of the horse, they gave everyone a preview of the new stage production of the show "War Horse," which opened here in London pretty recently, and has some amazing puppet technology for the horse!
So one thing I realized I've failed to document (which most of my budget has been going to!) is the food I've been eating since I've been here! So here you go. I'm proud to say that I started the trend in my flat of the Digestives biscuits! I went to the market wanting to find some good, British biscuits, and found these:
I was hesitant to get them at first because I was concerned that they might be some sort of laxative cookies, but I went ahead and tried them anyway. I liked them, and everyone in my entire flat ended up LOVING them, and now we all buy them when we pick up groceries! The other thing I've been loving here is this:
I first had Wensleydale cranberry cheese at a hobbit party a year or two ago and have been in love with it ever since, but I don't buy it very often just because it's so expensive. However, it's much cheaper over here, and it's going to break my heart when I can't pick this up as a snack every time I go to the market when I get home!
Today I was feeling restless and stir-crazy and didn't want to do my homework, so I grabbed Rosie again and the two of us and one of her friends went down to find a certain blue box...
See, I get stir-crazy because all of the girls in my flat like to hang out and do their homework while the sun is out, and the only time they'll go out and do things is after it gets dark. I personally hate sitting inside when it's so bright and beautiful outside, so I was so happy to get out and do something today :)
Oh, and the best part about this particular blue box is that this is a LEGIT Police Box - not just a replica made for the sake of Dr. Who!
Later...
So really fast, I just want to mention the most organized protest I've ever seen in my life. Apparently the Tube workers decided to go on strike, but they gave everyone in the city like two weeks notice of when the strike would take place and for how long. So starting today the Tube has shut down and we've been taking buses everywhere. Gosh I love the British and their insanely polite rebellions!
Anyway, on to the main thing that happened tonight. So Brionna and Betsy and I all decided to go down to the theater again to try and meet Jude Law, and as it happens, third time's the charm!
I got my playbill signed, and met the man himself! I can't believe I literally stood right in front of the guy and spoke to him. Life is crazy, and these moments still make me stop and look up to thank my lucky stars that I'm really here. My one hope before I leave London is that I'll get to meet the man who inspired me to change my life and be a better person - Tom Hiddleston!
No comments:
Post a Comment