Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Penny For The Guard

Dear Grace,

I've been having quite a bit of fun this past week! I haven't been taking as many pictures just because I've been going to shows and stuff, so it's hard to get pictures of anything in a dark theater, haha. In any case, I finally got to go to one of the world famous markets yesterday: Portobello Market!



This is one of those scenic streets you walk down and really feel like you're in an English village. I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the merchandise I saw there, but I now see why just the scenery and the street can put a twinkle in anyone's eye.

So here's something fun I just wanted to throw in! The Book of Mormon musical is here in London, so there are these ads everywhere on the buses and in the Tube stations. Every time I see this particular ad I like to imagine that in some subtle way the city of London is telling me it loves me, and it makes me smile inside :)


Today we had the day off from classes, so we got up and went down to see the Changing of the Guard for the second time. Last time we went, we went on a Saturday morning, and all I ever saw was the tops of the guard's fuzzy black hats. I just couldn't believe what a mob of people there was! It's a weekday in the middle of winter with frigidly cold, rainy weather, and yet there were the crowds all around the gates! At least this time we actually got close enough to the gate to get a decent view of what was going on inside, so I was pretty happy about that.



After the Changing of the Guard, we decided to head over to an art gallery for a glass-blower/painter named Dale Chihuly. While I thought the art was very pretty, I just about crapped myself when I saw glass bowls and splatter paintings priced at over £30,000 (that would pay for the rest of my schooling, as well as grad school, rent, and food for the next five years!). Maybe I'm in the wrong business; maybe I should take up throwing paint at canvas and call myself an artist!




My last adventure today was definitely my favorite! We decided to take a little trip over to King's Cross Station to visit a certain little place between platforms 9 and 10 ;)


There's a trolley fixed into the wall there where you can get your picture taken. There are also super nice Hogwarts workers there who give you a scarf to wear and will hold it out behind you so it looks like it's flowing in the wind in your picture! The people helping us were super nice and super funny! When I asked to take a picture of me casting a spell on one of the workers, he was only too happy to oblige!


Afterward we hurried home to do some homework, and now we are all enjoying watching North and South together :) For the first time in forever I'm excited for Valentine's day this weekend! A group of us are planning on going to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner, and I'm planning on buying myself some fancy-pants chocolates and getting dressed up for the occasion. I get to spend Valentine's day in London, can you believe it?! I know I can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...