Saturday, January 18, 2014

Is This a Theater I See Before Me?!

Dear Grace,

So I neglected to take any photos of when I went to see Hamlet, but then, there really wasn't much to take pictures of besides the Tube ride over there. It was a tiny little theater with maybe ten people or so in the entire cast. The guy playing Hamlet had a spectacular performance (however the Hamlet I saw in Cedar City still remains my favorite) and I thought that the show was very well done, despite the limited space and small cast.

Anyway, yesterday we went on a walk along the south side of the Thames river (the walks are required for a "London Walks" class, so if I refer to any walk as something like "the South Thames walk," that's why).

We started by crossing Tower Bridge (which I still insist on thinking of as London Bridge because it goes up and down) and then heading west along the river.


I was finally able to get a decent picture of Tower Bridge this time because the sun was behind me once we had crossed the bridge.


Anyway, we walked along the Thames for a while and stopped for a minute when we reached the real London Bridge (of which I couldn't really get any pictures because I was on top of it).


In any case, we didn't stay there long because it's a flat bridge and there's not much to see when you're on it, so we continued on our walk until we stopped to go check out a church nearby (sadly, I must confess that the churches and cathedrals are all starting to blend together in my head at this point).

We didn't stay long though, because we had to hurry and get over to the highlight of my day: A tour of the Globe Theater!



I already knew that this theater is not Shakespeare's original Globe, but I was so sad to learn that it's not built on the original site either! I didn't let that get me down though, because Oh my gosh, I've been to the Globe Theater now! We had an adorable little British lady give us a tour of the Theater, and she told us all about its life in the 1600s and its reconstruction in the modern day. What must life have been like for that company so long ago? I can't imagine being one of the actors who had to memorize the lines Shakespeare wrote for a show the next day. What a crazy, stressful, wonderful thing it must have been! For a while as I stood there in front of the stage, it made me miss performing in theater again.

Well, after our tour, we continued on the walk, and what should we stumble upon but a movie film site! Any of you Harry Potter fans out there will recognize this bridge as Millennium Bridge from the 6th film because it was knocked down by dementors. We of course ran around on it and took pictures like the crazy hooligans we all are :)



About twenty minutes later, what should we find but yet another film site! This graffiti bridge thingy was shown in the second episode of Sherlock in season 1, and some of us were freaking out about it!



After that, we pretty much went home for the night and watched Austenland, which is an excellently adorable film, which I highly recommend to any girl who enjoys cheesy girly movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...