Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Splish, Splash, I Was Taken To Bath...

 Dear Grace,

Good heavens what a trip today! We started off by heading westward into the countryside where I caught my first glimpse through the bus window of - can you believe it? - Stonehenge!


I was amazed to discover that Stonehenge is in fact right next to the road, and you can wave to it as you drive by. We of course got out at the visitor center down the road and took a tram out to the site itself. Another thing I was surprised to see was how thickly covered the stones are in moss. I realize now that pictures can't quite capture this, and it really is something you have to see with your own eyes. Another thing that surprised me was the fact that birds had made their nests in the holes of some of the rocks. All I could think was, "Oh sure, people aren't allowed to go up to the rocks anymore, but you still let the birds nest in them?!" Oh well. I think I didn't mind too much because I decided to wear a long skirt today.


(*Confused faces* "What is it?")

Well, there's only so much time you can spend marveling at the majesty of a giant, prehistoric Lego structure wondering how and why it was built, so back on the bus we went and rode off to our next destination...BATH!


I can't deny that I completely fan-girled out the moment I saw Bath for the first time through the windows of the bus. Of all the time's I've written or imagined stories about riding into a fairytale kingdom, this was exactly the sort of place I always imagined. I only wish I could have gotten pictures of the view on the way in! All I could think as we rode into the city was how I wished I was on the other side of the bus where they had the view!

 (Lovely ladies of Bath!)

 (Out for a stroll)

Our first destination in Bath was none other than its namesake: the Roman Baths.


This was a bathhouse built over a natural hot spring by the Romans in 70 A.D., and this main bath area still remains today. The thing that impressed me the most were the metal pipes the Romans had installed to pump water in and out of different areas, exactly as we do today. It amazes me that the Romans had running water all figured out, and the English neglected to preserve that knowledge :S




So I went into another area where you can toss a coin into the pool to make a wish, and wasn't too surprised to see videos of Romans projected on the walls walking around in towels or soaking in the water. I was quite startled, however, when I turned and saw the bare butt of a totally naked Roman guy toweling off! Let me tell you, when you're used to American censorship, you might find yourself screaming things like "My eyes!" when these things happen.



At the end of the tour, you have the opportunity to drink the water from the baths, which is full of minerals and stuff and supposedly has healing properties.



Not very many of us agreed with this theory, and many of us felt a little funny for the rest of the day after drinking this stuff. Seriously though, I kept having super heavy dizzy spells afterward, and I'm pretty sure the taste had a remarkable resemblance to clay or something.

Why did I wear a skirt today? Well I'll tell you. BECAUSE WE WENT TO THE FREAKING JANE AUSTEN CENTER! THAT'S WHY!



I have to admit that it's rather difficult to feel elegant and refined when you're wearing several pairs of leggings and knee socks and boots under your dress, but at least I still got a few good pictures today. The museum mostly consisted of an area in the basement where you got to try on 19th century costumes, which were too big for all of us, but I think we all pulled it off quite nicely all the same :)


(Betsy and me fighting over Darcy)


After the museum we got to wander through Bath for a bit before heading back home. Lindsey and I stopped at a pasty shop where I got to try my very first meat pie! Let me tell you, it was DELICIOUS. We also stopped at a little chocolate shop where I picked up a box of candies for pretty cheap. The lady at the counter was super nice, and she let me steal a lot of chocolate buttons from the sample bowl while we were chatting.

(Other part of the museum - writing with quill pens and ink. This was my souvenir for Bath! Also, I fail at calligraphy :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tender Mercies

Dear Grace, I know it's been awhile since I last wrote anything. I guess it's kind of a pattern that I don't write when the h...